With millions of apps on the App Store for iPhone and iPad, you think there would be an app for everything. Sadly, that’s not the case.
Sometimes you’ll come across a great website that doesn’t offer a dedicated app. Or maybe you just want quick access to your favorites sites from your iPhone’s home screen. Whatever the case, you can easily add websites to your home screen on iPhone thanks to a neat Safari trick.
We’ll show you how to make any website an app on iPhone and iPad.
How to Add Website Apps to the iPhone Home Screen
To add websites to your home screen like apps, follow these steps:
- Open Safari. Other browsers, such as Chrome, won’t work for this.
- Navigate to the website you want to save to your home screen. Make sure you visit the exact page you want to open through the shortcut.
- Tap the Share button at the bottom of the page. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing out of the top.
- In the list of options that appears, scroll down until you see Add to Home Screen. Tap this.
- On the next screen, choose a name for the website shortcut on your home screen. You’ll see the link so you can confirm it, as well as the site’s favicon that becomes its “app” icon. Click Add when you’re done.
- Now just tap the new app on your home screen, and it will open the website in its own navigation window, independent of what you have open in Safari.
If you ever decide you want to remove the website shortcut, you can delete it just like you would any other app on your phone.
Add Everything to Your Home Screen
This is a great way to add website “apps” to your home screen for services that don’t have them. Video game music radio site Rainwave, which we used above, is a good example. It’s a lot better than having to open Safari and jump to a bookmark every time you want to visit a particular site.
Many people prefer to have an app for everything they use on their phones. With this method, it’s easy to do so. If you get overwhelmed with all the apps on your home screen, check out our tips for organizing your iPhone apps and creative layouts to organize your iPhone home screen.
Read the full article: How to Add Website Shortcuts to the iPhone Home Screen